Saturday 23 July 2016

Banky W Receives State Honour In New York

Nigerian singer, Banky W , has received a state recognition in the form of Citation certificates given to him by Eric L. Adams, the President of the Borough of Brooklyn. He was awarded for his contribution to his community and successful career.

Banky shared his latest achievement with his fans on his Instagram page. He explained how hard it was for him to return to Nigeria to pursue music adding that he is glad he made his choice looking back at how far he has come.

The singer wrote, “So earlier today, The President of the Borough of Brooklyn honoured us with Citation certificates, for our contributions to our communities and for our career accomplishments.”
“Here’s the thing… in life, it’s important to find your purpose, and to trust God and believe in yourself as you work hard to chase it. Follow the path that leads to you fulfilling your destiny.”
“I lived in NYC for over 10 YEARS. And at the time, being on stage at a venue like the Barclay’s Center, or being honoured by the City Of New York, didn’t seem like something that was remotely possible. “
“But I felt like my calling/destiny was back home in Africa. I felt like the music grind I’d started… it just felt like Lagos was where I was meant to be. Even though at the time, my entire immediate family no longer lived in Naija and my parents couldn’t understand why I’d want to risk it all to go back there.”
According to him, if he could achieve so many things, then a lot more people can walk in his footsteps.
“It took a while to make the decision, But I quit my Job in Engineering, bought a one way ticket and came back. And here I am, 7 years later, performing at and hosting the #oneafricamusicfest at the Barclay’s Center… being honoured by Brooklyn… I share this not to be arrogant.. but to tell you that truly, NOTHING is impossible. You can be all that you plan to be. If I could make it, you can too.”
“Your current position in life is only temporary. It’s like The story of Joseph in the Bible… he had to go all the way to Prison to make it to the Palace.. God did it for me, He can do it for you too. Who would have thought that I’d need to go all the way to Africa to make it to the “top” of NYC?“
“Don’t give up on yourself or your dreams. Impossible is not fact; it’s merely an opinion. As my boy @officialkingslee once shared with me.. even when it seems like things are falling apart, they can still fall into place. You can make it. I promise.”
This is not Banky’s first international recognition. In 2006 he won the John Lennon Song Writing Award for his song ‘My Regret’ .

No comments:

Post a Comment